UPDATED: Kagara abductees not yet released, says Niger gov


Kayode Oyero

Governor of Niger State, Abubakar Bello, has described as ‘rumour’, the purported release of abducted students and members of staff of Government Science College, Kagara.

Bello spoke on Friday at the Government House in Minna, the state capital, shortly after meeting renowned Islamic Scholar, Sheikh Abubakar Gumi.

Addressing journalists, he said, “Regarding the event of the past few days where we have two serious cases of kidnappings –the NTSA (Niger State Transport Authority) bus that was kidnapped (with passengers). And the second event took place at the Secondary School in Kagara.

READ ALSO: We don’t know how much is made per month at Lekki tollgate —LCC MD

“As at this moment, we do not have any additional information to give apart from the one given earlier on, yesterday. But I want to assure you that we are doing everything we can, we are interfacing with the local communities, with federal authorities and our own state authorities to ensure that we recover the victims safely.

“Our utmost priority right now is to make sure we bring them back home safe and that is exactly what we are going to do. So, there hasn’t been any information I can give you at this moment but once we have anything for you, we will let you know.”

ALSO READ: Nigerians don’t need permission to live in Ondo forests —Bauchi gov

Responding to a question on the purported release of the abductees, the governor said, “Everything that is being said out there is rumour and in situations like this, we cannot work with rumour, it has to be confirmed. Yes, we’ve been receiving different rumours from different people within villages but we are still treating those as rumour until processed and confirmed.”

On his meeting with Gumi, the governor said the state was ready to engage any actor who was willing to assist with the rescue of the abducted persons. Bello said, who noted that the state was exploring kinetic and non-kinetic means to secure the release of the abductees, added that he was waiting to receive a “comprehensive” report of the “findings” of Gumi.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that Bello ordered the immediate closure of all boarding schools in the bandit-ravaged areas on Wednesday after the attack in Kagara.

The Senate had also asked the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), to declare a state of emergency on security without further delay.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Fani-Kayode visits Igboho, canvasses Nigerians be permitted to carry guns

Wednesday’s attack happened a few months after bandits kidnapped over 300 schoolboys from Government Science Secondary School in Kankara, Katsina State.

DOWNLOAD THE PUNCH NEWS APP NOW ON

android




Read the Source post on Punch Newspapers – The most widely read newspaper in Nigeria.

Previous articleDOWNLOAD: IBINU IYAWO OLOKUN (ODUNLADE ADEKOLA) – 2021 Yoruba Movies| New Yoruba Movies 2021| Yoruba Movies
Next articleCourt grants bail to 63 Obigbo residents detained by the army, police and DSS